What is… Gaslighting
Gaslighting is a malicious form of mental and emotional abuse, where someone is manipulating to plant seeds of self-doubt and alter your perception of reality.
- Discrediting you by making other people think that you’re crazy, irrational or unstable: “She’s just being CRAZY… again”, “I wish he would stop being so paranoid about things”
- Using a mask of confidence, assertiveness, and/or fake compassion to make you believe that you “have it all wrong”.
- Denying events: “You’re imagining things, that never happened!” “No, you didn’t remember correctly – you’re wrong, ”
- Trivialising your feelings: “Why are you being sensitive?”, “I was just messing you around, why are you taking things so seriously?”
- Refusing to acknowledge your feelings and thoughts: “I don’t remember that, you must have dreamt it!”, “You’re lying, I never said that” “I don’t know what you’re talking about…”
- Twisting and reframing; when the someone confidently and subtly twists and reframes what was said or done, making you feel as though you are “unstable” or “irrational”: “I didn’t say that, I said _____”, “If you remember correctly, I was actually trying to help.”
No! You are NOT going crazy… seek support!
If you are affected by abuse contact our confidential advice line: 0330 2020571 or email: email@example.com